Cleaning when you have a chronic illness



Chronic illnesses can impact your ability to take care of you home. Everyone's situation is different, but this post inspired me a lot and I think many spoonies can relate.


As someone living alone with a chronic illness that impact my energy, cleaning is often a challenge. I've found some tips I'm sharing, in case you can apply them to your situation.


  1. Figure out the best moment for you to do things.
  2. Prioritize. Make a list and do the more important stuff at first. Don't feel bad if you can't do it all.
  3. Sit down as often as you can. I fold laundry seated.
  4. Take breaks. Sometimes I'm like "oh I have so much energy, let's do all this" then after I'm burnt out and in the "negative spoons". Take it easy
  5. Ask for help (if you can). My parents come help me a lot, but they are getting old and this worries me a bit.
  6. Lower you expectations. You won't be able to do ask much and done it as you wish (also valid you get help). For me it's still hard, after 7 years, to not compare to the "before the illness"
  7. Get rid of clutter. It's less stuff to clean or to find a place to put them. I personally got rid of a lot of candles. They were attracting dust, which I'm allergic to on top of it.
  8. Corral clutter in baskets. I have one under the coffee table, it's where I place things I need to sort out... later
  9. Do a little bit every day.

I found this article on The Migthy that is very interesing too.

Comments